Bravanark Food Safety

Online Food Safety Training and Support Specialists

Phone Number: 01189 541 700

Mobile Number: 07785 748 137

Do you need a Food Safety Certificate
to Sell Food?

Presently, not all food business premises require a food hygiene certificate to sell food. However, the staff who are handling food should know how to handle food in retail, catering or manufacturing environments.  According to EC Regulation 852, food handlers should be trained in food hygiene to be able to properly offer food-related services. 

kitchen of commercial restaurant


Level 2 Food Safety and Hygiene Certificate is the ideal training for workers who prepare, serve and handle food in a restaurant. The course teaches the basics of safe food preparation, cleaning, cooking temperatures and cross-contamination. For managers or supervisors, the most appropriate training is Level 3 Supervising Food Safety in catering, which helps to plan and implement food safety procedures and systems.

close up view of catering platter


Level 3 Supervising Food safety in catering course is recommended for owners of catering companies, e.g. wedding catering, business events or private function catering. This course is very important because you will learn about food hygiene, safety systems and relevant legislation. However, for catering company employees, A Level 2 Food Safety and Hygiene Certificate will be sufficient.

cake and coffee served in cafe


When working in a café, you need to learn about basic safety and food hygiene. Hence, you will need a Level 2 Food Safety & Hygiene for catering because it will teach you about safe storage, handling and serving food as well as food preparation.

cookies and cream cupcakes on market stall

Bakery Stalls

With a Level 2 Food Safety and Hygiene, you can sell cakes on a fair or a stall because you will learn about serving food safely, personal hygiene and stock control. If you are the one baking the cakes, you will need the Level 2 Food Safety and Hygiene for Catering.

cheeseburger and chips served

Fast Food Outlet

For workers in a fast food outlet, e.g. a chips shop or a burger restaurant, undertaking a Level 2 Food Safety and Hygiene for catering is essential because it teaches relevant food procedures. If you are a manager or a supervisor for a fast food outlet, taking a Level 3 Supervising Food Safety in catering is recommended.

professional waiting staff at hotel


To learn the basics of safe food preparation, cleaning, prevent contamination and cooking temperatures, people who work in a hotel kitchen are required to take a Level 2 Food Safety and Hygiene. Everyone who handles food should receive relevant training and hold valid qualifications. 


If you are planning to start a food business, you are required to register with the local authority at least 28 days before the food preparation start or trading. The registration is free, and it only involves you filling the basic details about your food business. Some of the details that you will provide include the activities involved and the address of the business premises. If you have started trading before registering, you should register as soon as possible to avoid possible legal problems. Here are some of the things you must adhere to:

  • Make sure that the local authorities have up to date info about your business premises
  • Inform your local authority if you are planning to make any changes in the future
  • If you own more than one business premise, you need to register each one of them with the local authority of where they are located.
  • If you handle products that originate from animals, e.g. meat, you may have to get an approval. Check with your local authority.
  • Companies that distribute or supply food should also register as food businesses even if no food is kept at the premises.
  • If you own a website that arranges food delivery, you also need to register.
  • Once you’ve registered, the local authority can inspect your premises to ensure you have met the minimum requirements at all times.